This recipe for a boozy festive season tradition has a surprisingly flavoursome twist: cinnamon butternut. Give it a try!
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp vegan margarine
1 pinch of salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup cooked butternut mashed with 1 tsp of cinnamon
½ cup liquor brandy or sherry
10 medium sized strawberries
1 packet vegan pineapple jelly
2 ripe bananas
2 kiwi fruit
2 cups vegan cream
1 cup cracked almonds
Preheat oven to 185° C
Whisk sugar and margarine until light and fluffy then add the other ingredients to this mix. Mix gently and spoon into small flat baking tray. It should be one shallow layer that you will ‘cut’ into two.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly browned at the corners. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Prepare jelly and place in fridge to partially set.
In a medium sized glass bowl slice kiwi fruit and arrange around the sides.
- Add one layer of fairy cake and ¼ cup of brandy or sherry.
- Sprinkle with ⅓ cup cracked nuts.
- Add ½ cup of the cinnamon spiced butternut squash.
- Mash bananas really well, mix in ½ cup nut or non-dairy cream and spread a layer of half the mixture.
- Spoon in half of the nearly set jelly (not featured in the trifle image).
- In a blender pulse washed and stalked strawberries (leaving a few for garnish). Add half the blended strawberries as the next ‘layer’.
- Pour ½ cup non-dairy cream over the strawberries.
Repeat steps 1-7, starting with a second layer of fairy cake.
Decorate the top with halved strawberries, chocolate shavings, and crushed nuts. Place in the fridge to cool and set.
Enjoy after Christmas lunch to ensure a long, lazy afternoon.
Thank you to Jen from ‘Bella Vegan’.
Please check with the author regarding © terms.