We have an anthropocentric view of the world where everything on planet Earth is seen as resources for our use, including other living beings. We need to remind ourselves that humans are merely one species of animal. We call all other species ‘animals’, whereas, the correct term for them is ‘non-human’ animals. We also tend to forget that humans are mammals, just as are cows, goats, dolphins and sheep.
We practice speciesism by routinely killing one type of animal while professing to love another. Cows, pigs, chickens and sheep don’t see themselves as being any different from dogs, cats, horses or any other animal whom we have chosen as our ‘pet’. They all experience friendship and family ties. They all have the capacity for joy and suffering.
We abuse our dominion over animals by breeding, buying and selling, killing, using, wearing and eating them. Even the animals who we bring into our homes are nothing more than slaves to our whims and fickle fancies.
Let’s take a look at how non-human animals fit into ‘our’ world.
Articles on Animal Issues
- Will Human Tissue Testing Replace Animal Testing Anytime Soon?
- Are Issues Surrounding Animals Really Complicated?
- Do You Love Your Pets Unconditionally?
- Are You Neglecting Your Dog?
- Animal Testing is Not Good Science
- I Trusted You, A Dumped Dog’s Anguish
- What To Do When Your Easter Bunny Grows Up?
- The Voice of The Voiceless
- A Memorial to Boatswain
- Are You Giving Someone an Animal For Xmas?
- Giving Animals a Handout
Do you see a difference between pets and farm animals? If you care about any animals the next logical step is for you to stop eating them, wearing them and using them
Get in touch to find out more about issues surrounding the domestication of non-human animals.